If you are interested in being a mentor, please e-mail us at email@example.com.
Serving as a mentor for the Dream Project is a great opportunity to work with promising youth and build leadership skills for your future success. The opportunity requires dedication and compassion but comes with great reward. Our mentees and mentors build lasting relationships that enable both of them to grow and enjoy their higher education experiences.
In addition to working with mentees every week, mentors are included in the process of developing the structure of the overall program and individual lesson plans for mentoring sessions. Mentors also help to coordinate a number of leadership activities and events to further prepare the mentees for their higher education experiences.
The mentoring program is held between the months of September and May every year. Sessions are held weekly on Wednesdays (excluding holidays) from 5:30pm to 7:30pm in Arlington, VA. Additional activities and events will be scheduled throughout the year and will occur at various locations and times.
In considering prospective mentors, the Dream Project looks for individuals who:
- are currently enrolled in college OR are young professionals in the Northern Virginia and Washington, DC area;
- demonstrate a knowledge of the college admissions process;
- have a record of excellence at his/her college or university and/or workplace;
- have held leadership roles within his/her school, workplace or community;
- are passionate about serving others and believe in higher education opportunities for all students; and
- can commit to serve 2 hours weekly at mentoring sessions for at least one semester.
Prospective mentors are required to submit an application and complete an interview to participate in the program. Those selected to be mentors will be notified shortly after they have successfully interviewed. Mentors are expected to attend a training session with the program coordinator and mentoring committee prior to the start of the program.