Similar to a Diver License, Driver Privilege Cards (DPC) provide residents of Virginia the chance to operate a vehicle regardless of immigration status. See below for more information.
You may be eligible if:
- You are a non-U.S. citizen who is a resident of Virginia
- You have reported income from Virginia sources or are claimed as a dependent on a tax return filed in Virginia in the past 12 months
- Your driving privilege is not currently suspended or revoked in Virginia or in any other state, including insurance-related violations
- Age Requirement: minimum age is 16 years and 3 months
- Age Requirement for a Virginia driver privilege card learner’s permit: minimum age of 15 years and 6 months
- Two documents to support proof of identity
- Two proofs of Virginia residency (A post office box or business address is not accepted)
- Proof of your Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- Proof of reported income and deductions from Virginia sources
- All documents must be originals (temporary documents and photocopies will not be accepted
- Acceptable documents are included in the link provided below
- Applicants under age 19 can have a parent or legal guardian certify their Virginia residency. The parent or legal guardian must appear in person with the applicant and show proof of identification and two proofs of Virginia residency from the residency list. (See link below)
- A driver privilege card is not REAL ID-compliant and may not be used as identification to board a flight or enter a secure federal facility. Driver privilege card applicants are not eligible for a commercial driver’s license or identification card.
- If you have a valid driver’s license or driver’s privilege card from another state or country, Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) may exchange your driver’s license or driver’s privilege card for a Virginia driver’s privilege card. Once a Virginia driver’s privilege card is issued, any other driver’s license or privilege card, issued by another state, must be surrendered and will be cancelled.
If you’d like this in a portable format, feel free to download the following pdf: DMV309